A Part of Me

This is a place to publish all my poetry that I've written since junior high school. The ones I wrote first will post first and you probably will be able to tell a teenager wrote them. HA. But as they progress I hope they became more insightful and even inspired. Some have definite themes to the writing style, flow, or continuity that I hope people will catch onto.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

Friday, February 01, 2008

Goodbye to You My Trusted Friend...

I’ve been sitting here trying to put into words all the last twenty years have been.
Something to take with you, to look back on and remember when.

It’s like there are too many moments, no possible way to capture them all.
Will it be enough to fill the years as seasons change from winter, spring, summer and fall.

We met in high school while working at Jacks.
Two girls seemingly from different sides of the tracks.

You were confident, knew what you liked and were always ready for a ride.
I was quiet, eager to fit, more likely to run and hide.

You broke me out of my shell, challenged me to broaden my horizons.
Still, I may never be able to tell the difference between AC/DC and the Scorpions.

I broke you away from your high school sweetheart.
You encouraged me to leave home, that my mom’s world would not fall apart.

So roommates we became, heathens that we were.
All the comings and goings, with the neighbors caused quite a stir.

Lots of good times – our share of ups and downs.
I don’t think I (or Aaron) will ever forget the bloody hash browns.

You rescued me from one of the worst nights of my life – always just a phone call away.
I bailed you out of jail, having been there myself, over-night I did not want you to stay.

We had our first children together – living across the hall from each other by then.
Laughing now about how stupid we were to think “Love of a Lifetime” in those men.

So many memories…dime draws, mini skirts, Best Buns contests – skin to win.
Woody’s…the electric slide, ladies drink free…break out the mini skirts again.

Knocking Boots, Funky Cold Medina, California Centerfolds, margaritas galore.
SCUD missiles, stealing tvs, Tycoon 2 for 1’s, and so many, many more.

I cried the day you told me about the move and it looked like Texas was the choice.
I’ve been in denial ever since, fighting back more tears as you rejoice.

You’ve always been able to make me laugh and have truly become my best friend.
Your friendship means the world to me and no amount of miles can bring make that end.

I want nothing more than for you to be happy and if Texas is the way…
…Screw that…don’t go…I beg you to stay…I’ll miss you more than words can say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home